Saturday, April 17, 2010

My first 5 mile run to which I almost did not go...


Well.. here's my first update.. Today I went running with the group... and I almost did not go. My back decided to start troubling me on the day of my first long run... I was supposed to run 5 miles for the first time.

I woke up at 7 am and realized my lower back was starting to hurt. Do I go? Do I not? I had been waiting to try out the first 5 mile run for a while and even relaxed the last 2 days so that I am in shape. And now the darned back...

I went anyway... As we gathered around, one of the participants updated us on how her son was going in for surgery on monday to get his colon and appendix operated ...
And then another participant told us how her nephew had been suffering in the hospital and had lost 15 pounds in a week. He is 29. I am 27.. I shuddered at the thought of that happening to me.

And then I felt glad I'd gone after all... I ran, slowly but surely with my mentor and finished the 5 miles. We ran at a slow, relaxed pace, stretching on the way and I my back held up.

So here I am , another saturday, a little more... a small but sure step towards my goal.

And to make this meaningful, I need your help... A small step from your side can and will contribute to making this a really meaningful effort. You don't want more people, young or old, to have their colon removed or lie in a hospital suffering from these diseases.

So do you want to make a difference?

Yes, I do!

No comments: