Saturday, April 24, 2010

The 6 Miler!

Another week went by and it was time for the next weekend training session with the team...
This time it was a 6 mile run. Having done 5 miles the last week, I was feeling quite good about this one and ready to attack it.

It was a beautiful summer morning as we all assembled at 8.30 am at our meeting point.. and this time the honoree for the event was invited. The honoree was Harold, a young boy who is suffering from both Crohn's disease and Cerebral Palsy. He was accompanied there by his parents and little sister.

I remember his story from the first time we saw him at the information session. His father talked about how Harold suffered from Crohn's disease and as such a young child, they had to take immense care about his diet and lifestyle. And then.. they found out he had cerebral palsy too. How Harold and his parents cope with not one but two such debilitating conditions is beyond my comprehension. His father had said, it was a whole different game.. it was tough. I thought that was understatement and tried to imagine, without much success what a day in their lives would be.

And I just thanked the powers that be and mother nature that I was not in such a position. And yet, here they were as a family, looking cheerful and thankful for what they had. And that's when we started on our 6 mile run.

I finished with energy to spare and felt thrilled! I was almost halfway there. I am confident I will finish this.. but I need your help!

Yes, I'll help!

No comments: