Saturday, April 10, 2010

Can you cut back on some luxuries?

What I am asking of you is to cut back on some trips to starbucks, or a few drinks at the bar or a trip less to that favorite restaurant. Why? Your cutting back has the potential to improve the quality of lives of many others. Would you be willing to do that? Read on...

Yes, I would!

For the last few weeks I have been out twice a week running at least 3 miles at a stretch. Its a challenge but I am enjoying it! Where do I have to get to? 13.1 miles.
Yes, if the number seems familiar, its for a half marathon. I am running this half marathon to make a difference to millions of lives the world over who suffer from Crohn's and Colitis which are collectively known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). It seem daunting and 13.1 miles seems like scaling Mt Everest right now but I am going to try!

Why am I running for this cause? Sure, I could have run for Cancer, AIDS or a variety of other illnesses that terminally affect a lot of people. But Crohn's and Colitis are two examples that are under-represented since they are mostly not terminal illnesses. However, they cause a lot of pain to the victims and affect their quality of lives in a very adverse way.

Many cannot be outdoors for more than a few hours for the need of a toilet and many don't have the freedom of diet that most of enjoy. Some victims of Colitis have to have their colon removed, sometimes as early as in their teen years. And contrary to perception, it affects many races including my fellow Indians.

I have been told by friends that someone they know has the disease, I have seen a mother speak out her fears because her son is going to have surgery for colitis and even met someone who has had their colon removed. I am taking this as my cause to help similar people so that the future generations do not have to go through this.

So please consider donating to this cause. It might mean cutting back, but your cutting back on these luxuries of life can help someone else live a normal life.

Oh Yes I can cut back on some of my luxuries!!

No comments: