Saturday, February 10, 2007

Goodbye LA??

three weeks on the dot.... I drove out of the city of angels with everything to my name stuffed into a podgy looking car... half jetlagged.... was I leaving for good?
Before I drove out that day, I went over to my uncle's cafe (The Rose in Santa Monica... all u readers shud check it out!) on his insistence for lunch.... then hurriedly met with my cousin to say bye-bye and then hurriedly met with another buddy.. and all the while it seemed as if I was just temporarily going out of LA for a while.

I was late for a long 6 hour drive and as I hurriedly drove out after saying bye-bye to my buddies, it suddenly struck me that I might actually be leaving for good. Whoa!... I just spent one and half yrs in this city and I was suddenly just leaving for good. Why wasn't I having any sense of belonging to the place? I wasn't sad about leaving the place... nor was I happy.

And now its been 3 weeks since.... I've found an apt, car blah..blah and have got set into the mundane routine of a techie in the silicon valley... and I am really liking the place! I discover a new an awesome cuisine and restaurant every 2 days!... Its so strange that when I've lived here for just 3 weeks, I've started to like the place so much .... although I know so few people here... and on the other hand, I've lived in Los Angeles for so long and I don't have any sense of belonging to it.... in spite of knowing so many people there...
weird!!... or is it??

2 comments:

K said...

I Know what ur talking about... Its as we discussed the other day at the Ragazzi Room we don't have enough of a life in LA to connect...

Mukund said...

yup... i guess ur rite... I just wish I'd had the means to get a feel of LA as anyone should! But then.. international student from developing nation + sadistic profs + measly on campus job = the poor li'l indian grad student... ;)